Sunday, October 16, 2011

Piaractus brachypomus (Albino Red Bellied Pacu)

Got myself a new fish today! An albino Piaractus brachypomus (red-bellied pacu)!

Well known to be a tank buster, there two species of Pacu more commonly known to the ornamental fish trade. Colossoma macropomum (Black Pacu) & Piaractus brachypomus (Red-Bellied Pacu). The Black Pacu can grow bigger (up to 1meter) compared to the Red-bellied Pacu (>80cm). Both are really fast growing fishes. Known to double their size within weeks when they are still juvenile.

Today, I chanced upon a rare albino form of the Red-bellied Pacu. The first batch seen in Singapore was almost entirely bought by one hobbyist and only one other piece managed to be brought home by another hobbyist.

I rushed down after working (yes, on a Sunday!) to JZX Pet Boutique and grabbed of these unique creatures. They are sure hungry fishes, chasing water droplets on the outside of the plastic bag even during transportation! I tested the "legend" of them being super greedy by throwing pellets 10 seconds after I release this bugger into my tank, and it immediately walloped 7 Hikari Wheat Germ Pellet! By the way, the Pacu is only 7cm!

Talking about Hikari Wheat Germ, I'd do a small write up for it soon. It's my favorite, cheapest sinking pellet by Hikari

Here is the picture of my Piaractus brachypomus! I will continue to update on this guy, I aim to let it hit 8" in one month. LOL!


Information


Size / Weight / Age
Max length : 88.0 cm


Environment
Freshwater; ; pH range: 4.8 - 6.8


Climate / Range
Tropical; 23°C - 28°C

Distribution
South America: Amazon and Orinoco River basins

Credits to fishbase.org



Jin Zhong Xiu Trading (JZX)

BLK 711 Ang Mo Kio Central 2 #01-3501F
Singapore 560711
Tel: 6455 5675 HP: 90407842

No comments:

Post a Comment