Friday, October 21, 2011

Water Change

Good day folks!

Today I'm on leave so I decided to bring forward my water change (usually on Saturdays or Sundays).

My usual water change routine is about 50-60% of water, once a week.

Firstly, water is being removed via siphoning towards a drainage in my balcony. A long pipe is placed from the tank at the 60% mark and the other end of the pipe is slotted into the drainage.

Drainage


During my water change day, feeders (bought in bulk) would be added. So while the water is being siphoned out, I would do a water change for my feeders as well. The feeders were pre-treated with acriflavine by the supplier, a wide spectrum antiseptic to ensure there are no harmful bacteria or fungus on them.

The feeders would be soaked in fresh tap water with 20% salt for about 30minutes (time of water change) before adding them into the tank.


Lastly, water would be returned from the tap from the master bedroom to the tank via a long pipe (in pink). For every 2inch of water level being topped up, I would pour one press of Nutrafin AquaPlus water conditioner. It has both anti-chloramine and anti-chlorine properties.
Chlorine and chloramine are harmful to fish as they can damage fish gills and cause them to suffocate.






After water change, I would observe the fish behavior. I would also take water pH reading to ensure that my pH did not crash.

I hope this short write-up would be beneficial for those who are new to fish keeping. Remember, if you take care of your water, your water would take care of your fish! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I have a query about the "treatment" you give to feeders. May I confirm that you "treat" the feeders with tap water WITHOUT putting anti-chlorine? The reason I ask that is because I am rather surprised. To my understanding, many fishes can perish within minutes of being placed in chlorinated water. Please advise. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete